Monday, May 18, 2015

Today was our first day of class.  I think we will enjoy each other and the material.  I asked the students to write a few sentences about their first impressions of England, Harlaxton, etc.  These are the responses:

Sarah B - My first impression getting into London was at the airport when we stopped in a restaurant to eat and the waiter told us he really enjoys Americans and our accents.  That was nice to hear, because it is often built up how difficult traveling abroad can be and that many Europeans don't like us.  So far, everyone has been very kind and interesting.  I also like that they call the restrooms, "toilets."

Jennifer G - My first impression of arriving at the airport in London and going to the bus was how much quitter and calmer it appeared than in the States.  On the bus I saw how green it is, and the fields of yellow flowers lining the roads are beautiful.  The houses in the villages we passed give a very homey feel.  The manor is absolutely breathtaking, from the walking paths full of bluebells to the architectural design throughout the house.

Sara C - When getting on the bus, I was so surprised by how gorgeous the countryside was.  Even the areas around the airport were beautiful.  I noticed the size of the cars (not including our bus) were a lot smaller, generally, than those in the states.  The fields we passed on the way here were filled with yellow flowers and green grass.

Thalia G - My first impression of London was the obvious, it's beautiful.  Everything is the polar opposite of the States.  I wouldn't that's a bad thing, but it will take some time to adjust to everything.  Coming from the States to Grantham feels as if I was on an enchanted roller coaster ride.  I must say that the experience at Harlaxton does more than just tickle my fancy.  I would recommend this trip to anyone who wants to further their education.

Blake M - My first impression of London was how quickly everything was moving.  Heathrow is one of the largest airports I've ever seen.  I also was amazed at how different the British culture was from American culture.  If an American walks into the airport stores, they may find it difficult to find their favorite soft drink.  It was also strange seeing cars driving on the left side of the road.  Overall, I am very intrigued to see more of the British culture over the next few weeks.

Katie T - My first impression walking out of Heathrow was it didn't feel any different than walking out of an airport in the U.S.  After getting on the coaches, I realized how weird it was they drove on the left ("wrong") side of the road, especially the entrance to the highway.  The first drive through Harlaxton Village up to the manor is where it first started to hit me that I was in a new place and country, before I even stepped through the doors inside...

Sam D - The fields were gorgeous.  They had a lot of colors and there were a lot of hills.  Of course, driving on the other side of the road was weird.  Harlaxton from a distance looked like a medieval castle.  The artwork inside is incredible; there is so much detail and so many stories to them.  I'm surprised how cold it is because back home it is 70 or 80 and here it's about 55-60.

Casey F - The first thing that struck me when arriving in England was how green the landscape is and how well taken care of the homes and streets are.  Harlaxton Manor is even more amazing in person.  The architecture of the manor and the surrounding gardens and countryside are hard to put into words.

Dallas H - My first impression is foreign.  Everything about my experience is foreign in some way, from the food, to the clothes, to the oxygen.  I enjoy experiencing all of these new sensations because I feel as though I am not only broadening my mind but my senses and perceptions as well.  I love seeing how other people live.

Charissa L - When we got into Terminal 3 at Heathrow there were at least 60 people holding signs with names on them.  I've never seen anything like that before.  There were also just little stores everywhere ranging from coffee to cell phones.  ON the bus ride here, there was almost nothing on the sides of the roads.  It was mostly fields and hills with a little house every once in a while.  The landscape looked natural and not like anything I've really seen at home.  Harlaxton has little details everywhere so that every time you look, you see something you didn't see the first time.  It is also different than anything we have at home.  That's why it's so interesting.

Sophia K - I am not sure why, but I just assumed that the appearance of the landscape would be different.  To my surprise, it looked very similar to the rolling hills of Kentucky.  But the feeling that washes over you is filled with history.  The buildings are older, the cities are well established, and things have proven that they can stand their ground.  I have not gotten to explore much outside of Harlaxton just yet and I am curious to see how the locals treat their landmarks and interact with the history surrounding them.

Tyler L - The 1st impression of the manor is amazing.  Every part of the manor is different and eye opening.  The 1st day I spent hours wandering through the halls and up and down the staircases.  I still have yet to see the entire building.  I keep noticing new sighs in rooms I have already been to.  The grounds and the countryside are what surprised me the most.  Everything is green and alive with cool statues and gardens all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment